Tuesday, October 7, 2014

October 7, 2014

Prompt: You’re awoken from your midnight sleep in your favorite chair to your dog barking wildly in the living room. Pulling her aside, you look out the window, only to see a face staring right back at you. Whose is it? Why are they there?

I flinched away from the window as my heart raced. I flung myself to the opposite side of the room as the face never broke eye contact with mine. It took a few seconds for my startled brain to connect a name to the face. It was one I hadn't seen in months. Actually, I never thought I'd see this face again.

It was the face of the man who had been my borderline stalker for a year. I had once been foolish enough to date him, before I had realized how odd and obsessive he really was. After we had called it off, he wouldn't accept the fact I was no longer his. I was supposed to take him back. I wouldn't, especially not after seeing that side of him. He could be controlling and terrifying.  

Before he had moved across the country, he had showed up uninvited to my house several times. It was always after the sun had gone down. He lived within walking distance, so he would venture out in the dead of night to make an unexpected trip. This scared me. Couldn't he leave me be? Needless to say, I was glad when I heard he was going to be several states away.  I guess my luck had run out.

I tried to gain my composure. I knew he had come for me. Whether that be to talk or what else, I didn't know. Taking a deep breath, I steadied myself and straightened out. No need to appear fearful. He was probably just here to let me know he moved back. Maybe say a few words, catch up on what had happened in the past few months. My heartbeat had calmed a considerable amount by the time I had neared the window. I forced a small smile on my face to help break the tension.

His fixated eyes didn't change their expression as a chilling smile crept on his lips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment