Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September 29, 2014

Prompt: Write from the point of view of a glass sitting on the edge of a table.

Life gets boring sitting is this cabinet. It's dark and cramped. You'd think it wouldn't be so bad since I'm not in here alone. All of us quickly run out of things to talk about. Glasses live very repetitive lives. We sit in darkness, until a human opens up the cabinet door. We are blinded by the sudden intrusion of the light, then one of us is selected at random. Usually whoever is closest to the front. I'm pretty sure that's just a matter of the humans being lazy and picking whatever is nearest for them.

The after being the chosen one, the human just fills us with a beverage of his liking. Then we are used. Once we have served our purpose, we get washed and put back into the chambers of the cabinet. You're probably thinking this is a very boring existence. Well, think again.

As a glass, we live in constant fear of the clumsiness of humans. They're prone to clink us or even drop us. It's terrifying to know you could be safely in the hands of the human one second, then smashed into tiny fragments the next. We have no ways to protect ourselves or prevent this. We must solely rely on the person.

While I've been explaining my life, a human has actually decided to use me. I'm already headed to the living room now, I just didn't want to interrupt in the middle of a story. I love getting to visit the living room! It's my favorite room in the house. It's more cozy than the kitchen, and not to mention there's a giant television. I don't really understand it, but it's a treat to watch after being immersed in constant darkness for so long.

Well hey, this is pretty nice! The human put me on a coster today! He takes a few sips then pushes me back on the table. A bit further back than I'm used to... I'm sitting on the edge. My breathing is faster than normal. If one of the kids run by, this could be it for me. Oh no, I hear one now. I brace myself for impact as my heartbeat skyrockets. The child just barely avoids knocking into me, but his siblings are close behind...

I need a break.

1 comment:

  1. That was epic! I loved the way you made the glass not a glass. I could see through your glasses "eyes". Especially I liked the ending "I need a break", HA! Awesome pun intended. ;-)

    ReplyDelete