Sunday, September 14, 2014

Getting to Know Your Audience

From what I've read, most of the class is actually from Missouri. This leads me to thinking most of the class grew up in the environment of a small town. Where everyone knows everybody and there isn't much to do. It's nice that most of us have that little factor in common. However, I was extremely surprised so much of the class is from around the same area. I had expected much more diversity.

Almost the entire class has siblings of their own. I think only one or two students replied that they were an only child. Quite a few of my peers had many siblings. A lot of responses were also directed towards friends or family. I feel like the class has very close bonds with their relatives and friends so writing could be directed toward a family.

The class is pretty well divided right in half when it comes to whether they'd rather spend their free time indoors or outside. The people who picked outdoors liked doing a lot of physical activities like hiking and swimming. Many of the students that selected indoors said they just didn't like the extreme  weather outside or that they liked to be inside to do things like work or read. So I feel like my writing could either be for the book nerd type, or a more adventurous story for the athletic students.

Much of the class is composed of go getters. A lot of the responses of what drives us involved people having past failures, but wanting to better themselves. I think this shows that as a class we will be very good at learning. When a peer goes to help us with our paper, we will gladly take the advice and learn from it. Rather than not take the criticism as how it was meant. I feel like this is extremely important in an english class. I've been in classes where no one really tried helping improve anyone's writing so it was a lot of sitting around and trying to come up with ways to pass the time, rather than help one another. A lot of my fellow classmates also offered responses with a decent amount of thought, showing that they are interested in participating in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment