Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 13, 2014

I consider myself a queen of procrastinating so once I read a writing prompt about procrastinating, I was thrilled. The prompt asks what things I like to do when I procrastinate.

Sometimes I'll head to the living room and turn on the television for background noise. Slowly, my background noise becomes the center of attention. My ears will catch something interesting that is said so I'll wind up watching the screen and listening. I obviously don't get any work when this happens. Well besides the four minute commercial breaks.

Music is another one of those background distractions. I'll spend a few minutes looking through my songs for something decent to listen to. But then I find a song I really want to listen to, so then I'm not focused on my work. Instead I'm purely listening to the lyrics and my mind is miles away from whatever it is that I need to get done.

If I get a new book or decide to reread on of my old ones, I'm in for it. I can spend hours at a time reading and not realize its been more than 10 minutes since I first started reading. I just get so caught up in the book that I can't seem to put it down. I would consider it a bit of an addiction.

Snacking is a less healthy way I like to procrastinate. I'll get bored of whatever I'm supposed to be doing so I think "Hmm, I'm kind of hungry." and I'll find myself in the kitchen looking for a food to snack on. Usually something with sugar or chocolate is what I'm after. I'd say eating is the most common way I procrastinate. Sometimes I'll do something artistic like draw, but that's more rare. There's what seems like a never-ending list of ways I get myself out of doing work, but those are probably the most frequent ways I choose to procrastinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment