Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 13, 2014

Instead of just doing a free write, I decided to look at a list of writing prompts for ideas. One that stuck out to me was asking about an experience with bad food. A one memory in particular immediately stood out.

My best friend had taken several different culinary classes. She had wanted to be a chef for a few years and loved to cook for people. I'm a huge fan of food, so she's always cooked for me. I knew whatever she would fix would taste amazing. We had woken up early and wanted waffles. Now, my best friend did have pancake mix we could have easily used, but no. She was determined to fix something from scratch for me. She had found a recipe online for waffles that she swore by. Now, she hadn't written this recipe down, so she had to try to find it by using google. My best friend clicked a link and said "I think this is it..". I hadn't asked to see the reviews because I trusted her opinion.

So, my best friend went to work mixing all of the ingredients together. I can't lie, I was extremely excited to try this new recipe. From how she talked about it, it was perfection. As she set my waffle in front of me, I eagerly grabbed my fork and dug in. My mouth was filled with an odd taste, I thought maybe my taste buds just weren't woken up yet so I continued to chew. Chewing only made the awful taste stronger. I didn't want to be a food critic and tell my friend the waffle tasted horrid, so I just smothered it in peanut butter and drowned it in maple syrup. That only managed to slightly disguise the bitter taste. I thought maybe I was just being picky, my best friend was eating hers. We took turns using the syrup and peanut butter.

After what seemed like an hour later, we'd gotten to the last bites of our waffles. We both hesitantly admitted the waffles tasted funny. Both my best friend and I laughed, we'd both forced ourselves to eat the waffles even though we hadn't liked them, trying to be polite. Needless to say, we agreed to be honest about food after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment