Thursday, September 18, 2014

Prompt: Start writing a story with "The hallway was silent..."

The hallway was silent expect for my labored breathing echoing through the desolate tunnels. I came to a halt when I reached the stairs. I frantically checked each of my sides to make sure I hadn't been followed. So far, the coast had been clear, but that didn't mean I was out of the danger zone. Far from it actually. I had only gotten through the safest part of the building. After the dreaded stairs, things would only pick up from there.

I decided to proceed with caution. I knew just running up the stairs would only weaken me for the more difficult part of my journey. Not to mention, if I detected the danger before it saw me I could quickly backtrack. I stopped for a second to steady not only my breathing, but also my shaky hands. "This could be the day..." I kept telling myself. I tried to block it out, that certainly wasn't going to increase my morale. I hesitantly lifted my foot and set it on the first step. I could make this, I thought. With each step, I felt a little more confidence filling up inside of me. Until I was barely over halfway up the flight of stairs.

I heard what sounded like two men's voices talking below me. I couldn't let them find me now! I had gone to far to get caught now! I quietly jogged the remainder of the stairs, not even considering what might lie ahead. My feet finally found the end to the stairs and I glanced back over my shoulder. I couldn't hear the male voices, but for all I knew they were following me up the stairs. I wasn't sure if they had caught a glimpse of me.

That meant I needed to run, and that's just what I did. I bolted down the first hallway to the left. I needed to reach the last door in this never-ending hallway. One more door, I can do this! As my unsteady hand grasped the doorknob to turn it, I gave a pitiful laugh. It was locked.

Looks like I'm tardy to class yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment